Thursday, September 24, 2009

Two Excellent Days

Sorry for the delay in posting. San Francisco has been great, but on Tuesday I was feeling that the beer part of my trip was lacking. I haven't heard back from the contact that I believed I had made and the breweries have been brew pubs similar to Free state in Lawrence. Nothing about their business models shocked me.

So, I thought that I would play the tourista in San Fran! I hopped on the F line which uses antique streetcars from other cities. I was on the streetcar from Louisville. I felt like a tourist when I got on, but slowly the F line filled with foreigners. A young British boy sat down next to me - total cockney accent. We rode the F line to Fisherman's Wharf, a tourist trap. I decided to walk on and found the 28 bus to the Golden Gate Bridge.
When I reached the bridge it was shrouded in fog. I could not see where the bridge began from 20 ft away! I asked a gardener what the chances of the fog clearing were and he said, "You'd have to be real lucky to get it to clear."
So, I decided to walk across in the fog anyway. If you check out my pictures, you will see how wonderful the Golden Gate Bridge is. It is so majestic sneaking through the fog. The fog horn blows deep and loud like the bridge is grumbling. About half way across, the fog started to clear. I was able to enjoy the second support structure without any fog. It was a real lucky trip across the bridge.
I spent the rest of the afternoon in Golden Gate Park reading and hoping that someone would see the Frisbee that I brought and ask to throw it around. At the end of the day, Alan and I went and got sushi. It was astounding. There is no comparison in Kansas to fresh sushi. The texture, flavor and even amount is better here in San Francisco. It was a great day.

Yesterday, Alan and I went surfing in Bolinas. We rented from 2 Mile Surf shop and had lessons with Nick. I was pleasantly surprised how easy it is to "get up." Everyone has been asking, 'Did you get up?' and I don't know what type of surfing they had experienced, but Alan and I both got up on our boards.
Now, it became increasingly harder as the day went on because our arms became like jelly. The difficulty lies in paddling out against the tide, through waves, against the wind and then turning around in a timely way to catch a wave right before it crests and paddling again, faster, to hope to be on top of the crest. If you fail, then you are twice as far in as you had just paddled out. Work, work, work.
Yet, I am addicted. I cannot wait for another trip out to the coast for some surfing.

Today, I am leaving San Francisco. It will be good to be back on the road; I want to be a road warrior. The time I spent in San Francisco, though, was excellent and I couldn't have asked for more from Alan and his roommate. I will try to come back sometime in the future.

2 comments:

  1. OK. Surfing at Waikiki beach was hard. My arms were tired, but my bruised were the worst. I was using them to get better leverage on my arm strokes.

    I could get up on the board, I just couldn't time the wave right for it to carry me when I did so. Maybe it was bad water for a first timer.

    It's awesome that you did it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad that you had these great experiences in San Francisco! Looks like you have many other great breweries ahead of you. I loved the pictures! Miss you so, but know this is something you will always remember. Love you big time, momma

    ReplyDelete